Friday, October 4, 2013

{31 Days of Coastal Style} DIY Faux "Ceramic" Coral

Today I have what is probably the World's Simplest Tutorial for you! :) 


If you're anything like me, you've drooled over the decorative ceramic sculptures in stores like Target and Homegoods countless times. However, if you're anything like me, you've also a) had hiccups over prices like $19.99 (or even $130, for Heaven's sakes!) for a small decorative accent that b) you've realized will most likely last only 2-3 days max in your little-child- (and clumsy-adult-- who, me?) -inhabited home.


So when I saw, and swooned over, a white ceramic coral figurine like the one above (pretty sure it was at Target, but now I can't find it on their site :( ), I decided there had to be a version of it I could find make myself that, a) wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and b) could be displayed without constant fear of breakage!

Enter stage right: (drum roll, please)........ the Walmart aquarium aisle! 


Yep, the same aisle with the tiny glass fishbowls, little plastic pirate ships for your pet beta to "sail", and tanks full of goldfish floating swimming happily. That's where I found this pink beauty! It's perfect-- only $4.88, and best of all, lightweight, rubbery plastic that will withstand ANY two-year-old! Only problem, the Pepto-bismol-ish color = not exactly my style. BUT, nothing that my best friend and super hero, Mr. Spray Paint, can't change!

Sadly, I don't have any pics of the process, but it's PRETTTY basic-- remove pink coral from packaging, find safe place to lay it out (or hang from wire on garage ceiling, like I did, so I could spray all sides at once), and give it several light coats of white spray paint! I chose to go with matte paint vs. gloss, since that was what I had-- but you could use high gloss spray paint if you prefer a more "ceramic-like" finish. And.... TA-DA!


Ain't she bee-yoo-ti-ful? :)



So next time you go shopping-- keep your eyes open! You might find a new decoration in the most unexpected place! ;) (And remember, with a coat of paint, ANYTHING can be transformed. Well, I don't know about children-- I've never tried spray painting them...) ;)
So now I want to hear from you: what's the craziest thing you've ever spray-painted, or turned into a decoration? Please tell me!!!










P.S. Check out the rest of the "31-Dayers" over at The Nester's blog!

Parties I link to:
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

7 comments :

  1. you are BRILLIANT!! And I had to laugh about the goldfish "floating, I mean swimming"...too sadly true! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally love this coral idea! Will be doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cool idea! Totally pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT IDEA! I'll have to do this!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh....thank you for the great idea! I'm too cheap for the real stuff so this is a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craziest thing Ive ever spray painted, you asked? Well it wasnt that the white flat sheet was crazy, but I spray painted it with gold, silver and orange spray paint in kind of a blotchy almost splattery/tye-dye looking pattern.

    Then I wrapped myself in the sheet like a toga. I made a wild headpiece w white gold silver and orange pipe cleaners and ribbons on a headband.

    Face paint in the same colors randomly applied. I wore this to my friend's Halloween party - she lived in a town where almost everyone was employed by a major chemical company.

    My costume made me a chemical waste site. This was in the early 80's - it was a rather tongue-in-cheek statement that everyone there thought was great!

    ReplyDelete

I love love LOVE comments! Please take a second and leave me one... it'll make my day!