Monday, September 24, 2012

Thrifty Treasures Monday- Part 1: $5 Original Fishermen Painting!

Last week I got a TON of thrifting in, although most of it was clothes shopping. :) Hubby took his Master Plumber test downstate in Lansing on Wednesday, so we got to drop the kiddos at Grandma & Grandpa's on our way down and have an overnight date! :D My sweet hubby even set up an appointment for me to get my hair cut and colored while he was taking his test ;) (He knew I'd been complaining talking about how my hair needed help BAD! Am I the only one who waits until I have multiple bad hair days in a row before I give in and go get my hair done?) Then we got to eat at Cracker Barrel, and they had my FAVORITE Broccoli Cheddar Chicken! One of these days I'm going to find a recipe to try to make it at home!

Then Thursday we spent the day at his parents-- and my mother-in-law, the kids, and I got to hit all the thrift stores in the Cadillac, MI area! (I'm sooo jealous-- they have some AWESOME kid's (and women's) clothing consignment stores!) So most of my thrifting money went for clothes. (*sigh* ;P) But I did come away with one great decorating find from the Cadillac Goodwill: this giant picture for $4.99!


I instantly fell in love with the seaside setting, as well as the rich aqua and tan colors--  but definitely not with the ugly giant frame (complete with its nasty peeling felt "mat"). When I turned it over, however, I saw this:


It was a real, "live" painting on a stretched canvas frame, that someone had then taped into an outer frame! (Who would want to cover up a lovely canvas with such a disgusting frame?!?)


As soon as I got it home, I cut the tape and liberated the painting from its hideous frame-prison. Voila... a gorgeous original canvas! (That happens to perfectly match the aqua of my chalk-painted console table!)


The signature at the bottom of the painting reads "Sicily-        R. Shoultz".


I think "Sicily" is the location of the painting, and "R. Shoultz" is the name of the painter. Does anyone recognize the picture, or the artist? I did a Google search, but it turned up nothing :( Either way, I love it!!! Now to just find the right place to hang it... :)

So have you ever found original paintings in "off-the-wall" places? Or do you happen to have the Cracker Barrel Broccoli Cheddar Chicken recipe? ;) (If so, PLLLLEEASSSE share!)

 
P.S. I also found another great wall-hanging last Saturday at my local Goodwill: an authentic, vintage wooden "Farmer's Market" sign! But I won't make this post any longer... check it out here! :)

Parties I link to:

Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

2 comments :

  1. That's exactly what I need: Cracker Barrel's Broccoli Chicken recipe!!! If you find it, please let me know! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love love LOVE comments! Please take a second and leave me one... it'll make my day!